I blooming love Frittatas. They’re so simple, quick and easy to make and they’re a failsafe recipe to fall back on when you have minimal food in your fridge. It’s also a great hangover brekkie too. Me and the Mr often have these at the weekends because neither of us can be bothered to cook anything too time consuming for lunch, so these are just perfect. Plus once you’ve got it started this looks after itself under the grill, sorted.
Anything goes Frittata
Feeds 2 people (and possibly a little person bothering you too whilst eating)
Chorizo – About 5/6 slices cut up
Courgette – About 5 slices
3 or 4 baby tomatoes
Half a pepper
A sprinkle of oregano and basil
If you have it to hand, then a small spoonful of chicken stock added to the mix when its cooking adds to the flavour
(you can use anything in your fridge like left over chicken, ham, salami etc
- Crack eggs into a jug, whisk like crazy and leave to one side
- Heat some oil in a frying pan then once ready, chuck all the dry ingredients (bar the herbs) into the pan and cook for about 10 minutes until everything is soft and tomatoes have gone squishy (technical cooking term) then sprinkle in the herbs and if you’ve got some chicken stock to hand, add that now too.
- Whilst this is cooking, turn your grill on to a low heat.
- Pour eggs into the frying pan on and around everything else you’ve already got in there. Make sure the egg covers the entire pan then LEAVE!!! Don’t swill around like you would with scrambled eggs.
- Once the egg has firmed up (like in the picture above) let it cook for another 2/3 minutes then add some Gruyere (great word, say it again .. Gruyereee) cheese over the top, or cheddar, torn mozzarella etc.
- Then pop the frying pan under the grill (taking care not to put the handle under the heat, like I’ve done before) and let it cook for about 5/6 minutes. Just keeping an eye on it.
- Once its started to puff up a bit and go a light brown on top then you’re good to go.
- I like to smoosh avocado on top of the frittata and serve up with a bit of salad. An awesome quick and easy dish