OK, so I haven’t done a recipe post for aaaaaages, not since September would you believe! SO now is the time. This is a really easy recipe that I found in the Lean in 15 book by Joe Wicks. Now, despite not actually following any of his fitness type stuff, some of his recipes are really great for quick, go-to mid week meals, especially all of his stir frys, and this is one of them. I tweaked this particular version a bit and ended up adding quite a lot of extra vegetables (read as: I panicked thinking we wouldn’t have enough), which you can easily choose to cut out, and I chose to use courgette noodles instead of adding rice. It was incredibly filling so a good meal to make if you’re famished or hangry and need to eat NOW. It honestly took me no more than 15/20 minutes.
Piri Piri Prawns with Courgetti Noodles
Feeds Two Adults with some left-overs
- 2 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 2 Sping Onions
- 1 Red Chilli (seeds removed if you don’t want it too spicy – the piri piri seasoning also has a bit of a kick to it)
- 6 Small Tomatoes cut into halves
- 200g Tinned Black Eyed Beans (drained and rinsed)
- Big Handful Spinach (I have child’s hands so this equates to two big handfuls for me)
- A few bits off of a head of Broccoli, cut into halves
- 3/4 Chestnut Mushrooms
- 2 Medium Sized Cougettes (or just two nests of noodles)
- 1 Large Garlic clove
- 3 Teaspoons of Piri Piri seasoning
- 12 Prawns (about 200g)
- Salt and Pepper
- Half a lemon
- Extra vegetables – I also added to this dish 2 baby corn cut length ways (which me and the Mr then decided we don’t like anymore, but that’s by the by) and a small packet of frozen stir fry veg (Birdseye Steam Fresh) which included more corn (!!) Edamame beans and Green beans. This was quite a lot. If I made this again I’d leave these out, or substitute the mushrooms and broccoli for this, etc.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok, then add the spring onions, chilli, tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli and anything else you want at this point, and stir fry for a minute or so.
- Add the piri piri seasoning and mix for 30 seconds, then add the beans and two tablespoons of water. Give everything a good mix, then add the spinach.
- In a smaller frying pan add the rest of the coconut oil and add the garlic, once heated add the prawns and cook until pink (if using raw prawns obvs)
- Meanwhile either using a Spiralizer or Juliene Peeler, grate as much of the courgette as you can onto a plate. It doesn’t really matter if it’s all different sizes. I tend to leave the very pale middle out. Oh and I have a spiralizer that’s gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere, I just use the peeler now, less hassle!
- Once the prawns are cooked add them to the vegetables and decant into a dish ready for serving.
- Chuck the courgetti noodles into your wok with a teaspoon (or more) of coconut oil (if the wok needs it, it might not), and mix for about five minutes until they’ve started to soften slightly – you don’t want to cook them for too long or they go squishy.
- Serve up the Courgetti Noodles into two bowls and spoon the mixture on top. Squeeze over some lemon, et voila, you’re ready to go.
- Be prepared for some post-dinner tootage from the beans 😉