Oh. My. Goodness. This summer holiday business is insane. It’s become hugely apparent to me that during this time I can get nothing done whatsoever, apart from keeping the kid entertained, that’s it. That’s all I can manage. No housework, no admin, nada, zero, zip. The amount of times I’ve sat down to do an online food shop and been interrupted is ridiculous. I’ve literally not had the head space or brain power to put fingers to keyboard. How the heck do parents who work full time, manage their lives?! I hope everyone is
surviving enjoying the one on one time with their kids. Anyone else looking forward to back to school/nursery next week? (small show of hands) Anyway, I’m easing myself back in with a simple post. Something I’ve found that has kept me and the kid busy a few times when the weather has been crap is making Banana Bread. A great time killer for a rainy afternoon. I found this recipe for blueberry banana bread which I’ve tried twice now and it’s a firm win.
This is more a banana bread recipe (kinda the same, but in a different tin). It’s really easy and kids can help out (I measure out everything first then get the kid to chuck everything in the mixer, and yes, I have caught her eating flour. Now, after having Olivia I did have a really bad allergic or intolerance reaction on my face. The root cause I found to be bananas! If you’re reading this having read my previous posts about the reactions, you may think it’s strange that I am writing about making banana bread, but I have found that I have been able to reintroduce them slowly. I just can’t eat them daily. Here is my recipe for you:
Easy Blueberry Banana Bread
Makes about 13/14 slices (I use a tin that is 11cm x 21cm, any bigger or wider may just change the cooking time slightly) Using the tin I use I had a bit of mix left over, which I kept for muffins. They took about 20 minutes at the same temperature.
- 335g Self Raising Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 185ml Soy Milk (Original recipe uses normal milk so you could make with either)
- 125ml Vegetable Oil (I’ve made this recipe twice now, using vegetable oil and coconut oil, I think vegetable oil worked better and made the cake more moist)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 Free Range Eggs
- 2 Ripe Bananas (as always with banana cake/bread, the blacker the better)
- 125g Blueberries
- Preheat your oven (180c or 160 fan)
- Mix all your dry ingredients together first: sieve the flour into your mixer, add the bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and sugar and give that a good mix.
- Add in the milk, oil, vanilla extract and eggs (you can pre-mix all of this in a bowl if you want, but I just chuck it all in the mixer)
- Feed the banana into your mixer and give everything a good whizz. Once fully combined, using a spoon mix in the blueberries (if you use your mixer blade they’ll probably get smooshed)
- Line your baking tin with baking paper and grease with butter and pop in the oven.
- Now oven dependant, this should take around 40-50 minutes. In my fan oven it takes around 45. When it’s 40 minutes in, stick a skewer into a few different places in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done, if it comes out with mix on it, it needs another 5 or 10 minutes.
- Let it cool on a wire rack (if you can wait that long) then enjoy 🙂